Our newly developed synagogue opened its doors to the community on Shabbat Chanukkah 12th December 2015 – 30th Kislev 5776 – with a rededication led by Rabbi Elli Tikvah Sarah who welcomed back the congregation to their new spiritual home. Vacated for redevelopment since 2011, the synagogue, now a state of the art building, had been our home since 1937 but was in desperate need of modernisation. It was the BHPS Council who collectively brought the redevelopment to fruition.
For over 50 months, Council members actively lobbied synagogue members and the wider community in order to reach its financial goal and worked with architects, structural engineers, quantity surveyors, and contractors to bring the project to completion and the marvellous moment of fulfilment and promise, when the doors opened for the first time. We thank Liberal Judaism, Crawley Jewish Community and The NLPS Trust for Progressive Judaism for their generous grants towards the building and its furnishings. The internal layout of the ‘new’ synagogue offers a large sanctuary, office, library, educational rooms, pastoral care, a social area, kitchen and toilet accommodation over 2 floors. The ark, an item of absolute importance during the construction process, is extremely impressive. It creates a vivid focal point that makes a fundamental statement in its rainbow hues about inclusion and diversity and celebrates our rich and varied congregation.